Set a fair way into suburban Newtown, this tiny storefront is dedicated to churning out delicious varieties of macarons, and only macarons. Given this focus, it’s no wonder why they do what they do so well; and in a time where most would turn to Laduree or Zumbo for their sweet hit, MakMak are holding their own.
These macarons were larger than Cafe Cre Asian, and stayed together in the box a little better, their shells were a little softer and the flavour hit slightly stronger and sweeter.
- Rhubarb and rose – sweet rose creme filling with a rhubarb jelly disc; I really enjoyed the jelly disc, it contained a concentrated amount of the flavour of this macaron
- Salted Caramel – gooey salted caramel
- Strawberries and Cream – subtle onset with quite a sweet aftertaste due to the strawberry centre
- Jasmine Matcha – strong green tea matcha flavour but tasted a little artificial, and very very sweet. The Jasmine was lost on me
- Fairy Bread – didn’t have a very strong flavour, tasted rather neutral, but I like 100s and 1000s!
TL;DR A pretty good macaron store with a good variety of flavours